Thursday, August 14, 2014

What Am I 'Sposta Do?

Drink more water. Avoid refined sugar. Walk more. Hang your wet towels up to dry instead of throwing them on the floor. Sleep 8 hours a night. Close the milk before you return it to the 'fridge (and don't drink directly from the container!) Hand wash - cold water - do not iron. Do not remove this label under penalty of something-or-other. There are a million lists of things we are 'sposta do. I have decided to call them 'spostas. And I realize more each passing day that we each have our own list that we choose to pay attention to. One mere mortal couldn't possibly do them all, and there are probably no two mortals who share *all* of the same ones they pick. And some of us cling more strongly to the ones we do choose than others. Some of us require other people to adhere to our 'spostas and some of us just wish others (or everyone) would cling to them as tightly as we do.

I know with absolute certainty that the posted speed limit is 55 miles per hour on a given stretch of road. I also know that I usually drive a bit above that. I also, also know that you have to be driving at least 12 mph above the posted limit to be considered "speeding". And that's on dry pavement. So how fast do I drive on that stretch of road? It depends. It depends on a whole list of my 'spostas. What's the speed I'm never 'sposta exceed? How much space are you 'sposta leave between you and the car in front of you? Which lane are you 'sposta drive in? Which side of another car are you 'sposta pass on? Are you 'sposta go around someone just because you're in a hurry and you don't think that person is going fast enough? Are you 'sposta keep up with the speed of the traffic around you?

I will continue to think about this even if I don't get a chance to come back and write more about it.

No comments: